Blog Family Drawing

by Anya

Friday, May 1, 2009

Conehead

Shelby the wonder-mutt has had issues over the past months. She's been chewing holes into herself.

It all started when we were dog-sitting for some friends. Sweet little Sadie, who we love and so does Shelby, got sick while she was with us, and it seemed to stress Shelby out.

So she started chewing on herself. Just picking a spot on her leg and giving it a good gnawing, then licking it to death so it could be swarmed with all the delicious and healthy things that thrive in a dog's mouth.

At first I thought this was strange, I mean, I certainly would not bite myself until a festering sore appeared. And I fo-shizzle wouldn't do it to three places on my body. One maybe. Not three.

But the more I pondered, I realized it's not so strange. I mean, us humans, we deal with stress in many unhealthy ways: overeating, drinking, lashing out in anger. None of those options are available to Shelby (although I do remember her looking longingly out the car window one day as we drove by the liquor store).

In any case, we tried various methods to stop her, including some medicine that helps but has the unfortunate side effect of giving her some horrendous halitosis if she licks it off. Finally, after 3 months of mild improvement only to be followed by further aggravation of the sores, we've resorted to this:We call her Cone Dog. She's not overly fond of the cone. But it does keep her from licking the medicine off and the sores are improving without setbacks.

Here's Cone Dog in action



She's adapted to it, for the most part, as you can see. But it still cracks me up several times a day. When she puts her head down it's like a lamp shade on the floor with a dog body sticking out. Sort of like a variation on the priceless lamp in "A Christmas Story". Fra-gi-le!

The rest of the fam says that I ridicule her. I disagree. I say it's impossible to see her and not laugh. My funny bone is just more developed than my compassionate heart.

3 comments:

The Fox Den said...

That is stinkin' funny! I can't wait to show the kids in the morning.

(Compassionate side of the comment so the Smith girls continue to think that I'm a loving person): Poor Shelby. Being forced into health by caring family members can really take a toll.

How'd I do?

Jstar said...

I think Shelby must have learned it from Nez - while we were in Kaz she basically ate her tail off and was in a cone head for *months*. She never did learn to give herself ample space when rounding corners... but, then, Nesbitt is truly the stupidest of dogs. At least she makes up for it in personality. Oh, wait, no on that one, too.

And you thought you needed work on compassion!

Libi said...

Poor baby. You are such a meanie! I mean, comparing her to the horrid lamp in that horrid movie.

I may have to come over and teach her how to use that cone to her advantage (are your shins up to it?)

:)