Blog Family Drawing

by Anya

Sunday, July 12, 2009

A most disappointing day

Perhaps you've been wondering, "Did Rich ever do that skydiving thing?" Even if you haven't, I'm going to answer the question.

The short answer is, no, I never did.

The long answer is much more involved. Having been thwarted twice in my efforts to hurl myself from a perfectly good airplane back in early June, our entire crew of 6 jumpers plus 2 new recruits were scheduled for July 6.

We woke that day to perfect, sunny skies, temps forecast in the upper 80s, low 90s. Looked like prime skydiving weather. Our tandem jump was scheduled for 10 am. We left home at 8:30 and arrived there about 9:45. Here's Jenna with her seat belt decorated with pipe-cleaners during the long trip to Tooele, UT.Upon our arrival we noticed very gusty winds (we could tell because in order to close the door to the hanger after we opened it, we had to pull against it with the full weight of our bodies), and as soon as we checked in they told us that until the winds died down, no one was jumping. Sigh. Heavy sigh.

So, we all gathered around and began the long wait for the gusts to go away. Someone brought cards so we played Phase 10 (the box said it is "the most challenging card game you'll ever play"; we thought that might be a little extreme), talked with each other a lot, and ever-so-patiently waited the all clear from the officials at Skydive Utah.By noon, we were still waiting, so they told us to go grab lunch (however, we were cautioned not to stuff ourselves, as that only increased the likelyhood of said lunch returning to meet us sometime during the flight or jump. I shared a salad with my wife) and then come back. Here's Steve and Jamie playing a game of dot boxes (what could be the most challenging dot game you'll ever play) while awaiting our food. During lunch, we observed that the winds were noticeably less gusty, so after eating (but not overeating) we expectantly, yet hesitantly lest our hopes be dashed again, headed back to the airport.

Soon after arriving back they announced we'd be going up! Glory be, let's strap up!There were two jumpers that were scheduled before us, at the 9am block, so they were first along with our 2 new recruits (they got to go first because only 4 could go at at time, and they were going together). Once they were strapped into their tandem equipment, Lynn, Kevin and I got strapped together, as we'd be going on the second flight as soon as the plane landed from the first flight.Let me just pause here and say that when they put you in the tandem equipment, they fasten you in very securely.Very. Securely.The straps are, um, extremely tight. In all locations.

Think wedgie, then multiply by 5.

Of course, tight and secure are really good things when you're planning to jump out of an airplane 13,000 feet above the ground. I'm really grateful. It's just a little, uh, binding while your waiting in the hanger.So, the first group climbed in the plane, soared into the bright blue skies and we soon watched them fall splendidly to the ground, each firmly attached to their tandem master. It was a beautiful sight, and only made us more ready than ever to climb on for our turn.Alas, it was not meant to be. As they were descending the winds began to pick up again, and after a 20 minute hold (all the while still strapped in our gear...and starting to speak in a falsetto) it was now 3:00 and they said they were grounding all flights for the remainder of the day.Curses! Oh the inhumanity! The indignity! The utter and complete frustration! 5 hours we've waited only to watch others do what I've dreamed of for so long!

And, we left. More than a little bitter, I freely admit. As of now, I've not rescheduled. My buddy Kevin and I had planned on doing this together before he moved away, and he leaves this Sunday for Fargo, ND.

The pain is still too fresh. When you think of me, pray for the healing to begin on my seeping, scarred, open-sored emotions.

4 comments:

Jstar said...

I can't believe you've healed enough to be able to post about this. You're made of stronger stuff than we are.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I found this entry to be quite poetic! The excitement, the pain, the patience, the disappointment, and the "uncomfortable" embrace of the equipment...the respect level for you has just hit an all-time high! Love it! Glad you didn't do it and die--that possibility is for another day. I will pray for you ;)

Jesse and Doris Frank said...

Maybe you need to try a different country...uuummm...like Germany or maybe Switzerland via Germany! I know this cheap place to stay!

Katherine C said...

I read this post awhile ago and knew that I was planning my own first jump. Now that I've successfully completed my first jump (8/15/09) and have lived to return to your blog, I'd say I hope you do get a chance to experience the thrill and the beauty. I'd totally do it again. :)