Blog Family Drawing

by Anya

Monday, July 21, 2008

Shelby the wonder mutt

I have been chided, nay, even chastised for not including any picture of our dog, Shelby, on this blog. My children, especially Anya, have lamented her absence from this record of our doings. So here she is.

She is definitely not the brightest of her species, or even her breed. She's far below what anyone could describe as energetic. Playtime lasts for 10 minutes a day if we're lucky. Sometimes the best that can be said of her is that she recognizes her name.

But, she is housebroken, she can go for hours and hours without peeing, she is fond of affection and thus loves to be pet for longer than we can stand. And she doesn't shed.

I suppose there are other, more subjective, positive qualities about her, but honestly, I have trouble naming them, because to me, she's just a dog. I know that there are dogs in the world that somehow connect to their owner, that provide a kind of solace, affection or understanding that is different from fellow humans.

But Shelby? She looks cute and doesn't cause much trouble.

I'm pretty sure the rest of the family has a greater fondness for her, so I'm grateful we have her for what she means to them.

I'm just saying...you won't be reading any articles about her rescuing one of us when we fall in a well.

Although it's entirely possible that she would fall in with us.

2 comments:

Jstar said...

I used to feel bad that I don't post about Nesbitt, until the other day Sam asked how long Nesbitt was likely to live, "'cause I'm getting kind of bored of feeding her." Who's the calloused one now?!?

The Fox Den said...

Hehehehehe... you crack me up!