Blog Family Drawing

by Anya

Sunday, August 30, 2009

"Unpack"

Has anyone else noticed a proliferation of the verb "unpack" in contexts that have nothing to do with travel or luggage?

It seems to be cropping up everywhere, but is especially prevalent in Christian writings.

It's this kind of thing...

I just read this passage from the book of Job and I'm still trying to unpack what it means to me.

I was so overwhelmed by this recent experience and I need to unpack it a bit to see what I've learned.

This song was so powerful, I'm trying to unpack it's impact on me.

Every time I encounter it, it jars me and I go, "what the...?" Are we no longer allowed to use simpler phrases like, "I'm trying to figure this out" or "I want to spend a little more time thinking about this" or "I know I need to apply this to my life and I'm working at how to do it".

Unpack? So, you're gonna pull it out of whatever slot it's currently residing in inside your head, and then sort it into dirty stuff that needs to be laundered and mostly clean stuff that can be put away and used again? Or is it that you're going to leave it in it's bag and get to it later after it's really smelly and wrinkly? Or perhaps you just want to put aside the enjoyable part of the experience and concentrate on the drudgery that is cleaning up after the fun?

I know, I know, that's not what they mean. And I know what they're saying when they describe the need to unpack an experience or something they read or heard.

All I'm thinking is that of all the verbs we could appropriate to describe the way we work through our life experiences, unpacking is not at the top of my list. I mean, really, you've taken a fabulous trip, enjoyed your time away, soaked up all that the locale and the people you spent time with had to offer, and then you arrive home. And you must unpack the bags. You're tired, but glad to be home, and only wish you had a magic wand that would put all the clothes and stuff back where it belongs, clean and ready for use. But no, you have to unpack them and then put the luggage away.

It's not my favorite part of travel. And thus, not a word I typically want to use when describing the often great process of applying and learning from an experience.

Enough of my ranting. Anya and Karen just made molasses cookies and I need to try one so I can unpack the cookies' impact on my taste buds.

No comments: