Blog Family Drawing

by Anya

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Teach an old dog new tricks

I've discussed previously our dog, Shelby, and her lack of...shall we say...reasoning skills. She's a great dog, easy to have around, just not incredibly bright.

And I still stick to that evaluation. Last night she gave me a perfect example of her dimness.

She sleeps in our bedroom in her dog bed in the corner. The corner that is out of the path to anything, so if we get up to answer nature's call or if I'm having a sleepless night and leave the room, there's no chance I'll step on her. Her bed is in the corner, away from the action.

But this morning, when I awoke early at 5:30 and decided to get up and begin the day (which is still dark) I walk by the foot of my bed and proceed to kick Shelby, because she's laying there on a blanket that fell off the bed during the night. And she yelps when I inadvertently kick her (it is dark, after all, I can't see her) as if I am to blame for her lying in the path of travel.

Dim bulb dog.

However, she recently showed us that she is capable of learning, with the right motivation. Our friends the Jordans were here with us for a week, along with their dog Frannie. Frannie knows how to High 5 in order to get a treat.

One day, Shelby was sitting by Frannie as Yvette waited for Frannie to High 5 and then gave her a treat. Shelby whined at Yvette, so Yvette held up her hand and Shelby immediately gave her a High 5.Note that Shelby has never done this before in the 5 1/2 years we've owned her. Never.We were all more than a bit surprised at Shelby's propensity to perform given the right reward. But I was probably most stunned, given my well-documented evaluation of Shelby and what I would call her un-giftedness.

And yet, she can learn. She does understand.

I think she just doesn't care most of the time.

1 comment:

The Fox Den said...

I'm pretty sure she is quite comfortable with you thinking her a bit dim. Why do things for treats when you'll give them to her anyway? She's actually quite smart. On the other hand she may have just blown her cover with the high five and now you'll have great expectations before each treat is given. In that case she's probably chiding herself for revealing her smartness. Poor thing.